NMLS has posted on the NMLS Resource Center two reports that may be of interest to the course provider community: the Nationwide View of State-Licensed Mortgage Entities and the NMLS Federal Registry Quarterly Report. Both of these reports are for the first quarter of 2012.
Together, the two separate reports provide for the first time a comprehensive tally of all individuals, residential mortgage companies, and depository institutions authorized under the SAFE Act to originate mortgages in the U.S.
Highlights from the NMLS State-Licensed reports include:
- 15,883 companies are licensed through NMLS, up 6% from Q1 2011;
- MLOs totaled 105,595, an increase of 5.5% from Q1 2011;
- The total number of licenses held by companies increased 12% from Q1 2011 to 31,686; and
- The number of total licenses held by MLOs increased by 13% from Q1 2011 to 207,187.
Highlights from the NMLS Federal Registry Report include:
- 94 percent of institutions have MLOs registered in two or fewer states;
- Only 11 institutions have registered MLOs in 30 or more states
- The top five federal registered institutions employ more than 130,000 MLOs; more than one third of all registered MLOs; and
- Federally chartered institutions represent 17 percent of all institutions in the NMLS Federal Registry and employ 59 percent of registered MLOs.
Both reports may be accessed from the News & Events of the NMLS Resource Center at: http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/news/nmlsnews/Pages/default.aspx